Saturday, July 26, 2008

24 Hour Short Story Contest

I took part in my first Writer's Weekly 24 Hour Short Story Contest today. The deal is you are given a topic and a word count at the start of the contest and you have to write an original story that adheres to both of these requirements within the 24 hour period of the contest. It is limited to 500 contestants and there is a small entry fee of $5. The competitions are run quarterly and there are 85 prizes up for grabs including money and publication. It is a bit of fun and something that stretches the creative muscles. The next contest starts on 27th September.

6 comments:

Valinora Troy said...

Best of luck, Inkpot! I didn't realsie it limited the number of participants - it's a good idea!

Inkpot said...

Thanks Valpot. It is a good idea for a contest. I hope I win one of the prizes.

Anonymous said...

sounds just up your street- bet you'll win

Malice Blackheart said...

Wow, 5 bucks? That's a steal! What did they wind up giving you as parameters for the challenge?

Inkpot said...

Thanks Anon.

Hi Mal. The brief for the summer contest was a story of no more than 900 words inspired by a paragraph of text about a woman going into a toyshop. You should sign up for the next one in September. It is a bit of fun.

Malice Blackheart said...

I think I will. I'm going to make a note of it right now, actually.