Sunday, July 13, 2008

The First Six Months

As the year is half over, I thought I would have a look at my writing statistics for the year so far.
1. Total word count - 71,339 words.
This word count is not accurate as I lost my data for May, so the real count is probably nearer to eighty thousand or above. I only record first drafts or large pieces of writing in my word count, so this doesn't include words written (and lost) during redrafts and edits, nor does it include blogs or any notes, plot outlines and character guides written or any writing for friends or family. At the beginning of the year I set a target of writing one million words this year. I have a lot of work to do to get anywhere near it by December.
2. Total stories written - 25
This is the number of stories I have written and completed to a standard I was happy submitting to publications. This does not count the stories not deemed suitable and sent to my imaginatively named folder 'Not to good stories'. My target for this year was to write a short story a week, so I think I am more or less on track with that.
3. Total stories accepted - 4
I was looking at a competition for new writers the other day and one of its requirements was that you not have more than three stories published and I thought 'Gosh, that excludes me. How cool!'. Ok, they haven't all been published yet, but they have been accepted. Remember, this is 4 acceptances out of 25 stories written, but 33 submissions, 13 of which I am still waiting to hear about.
4. Total books read - 22
I have also 3 books started and yet to be finished. I have a feeling that they will never be finished, especially as I sold one of them! My target for this year was to read 2 books a week, which I am obviously not going to do, but I wouldn't mind if I ended up with more than one a week.
Looking at these stats I can't help from focusing on what I wanted to achieve as opposed to what I did achieve. This can be helpful to spur you on to work harder and be more productive, but it is also good to acknowledge what you have done and looking back at the first six months, especially in comparison with my stats for the last two years, I am pleased.

5 comments:

Valpot said...

I think that is a pretty good record. Particularly the numbe rif short stories writen and submitted - excellent!

I'm sure the word count will surge ahead for the rest of the year!

Valpot said...

Sorry about the typos!

Inkpot said...

Thanks Valpot, I hope my stats for the second half of the year equal if not exceed what I'm done so far.

Anonymous said...

very impressive! keep at it and it will get even better, like the touch of selling the book you were reading, must have been really thrilling book!

Inkpot said...

Thanks Anon. It was a thrilling book indeed. :)