Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beannachtai na Feile Padraig

Happy St Patrick’s Day. I hope you had fun drowning the Shamrock. I certainly did. The BF, me and some friends watched the parade on telly and played a drinking game every time a marching band came on. Hurrah! It was fun. Of course, there was also the obligatory green Guinness. I’m not a Guinness drinker usually, but I’m a patriotic panda and make sure I have a pint (or at least a sip of the BF’s pint) on St Patrick’s Day.
Dublin city centre closes down for the day so the parade can – er – parade through the streets. I used to be involved with it when I was part of Youth Drama Ireland. It was great craic. You could make good money painting shamrocks and Irish flags onto the faces of the kids watching the floats (actually, I should have done that again this year, I’m a bit strapped for cash).

I gather I went on too much yesterday. I’m a bit like a charging rhino once I get going, so I’ll try to keep it brief this evening. I have to get ready for work tomorrow, so it is no harm if I keep this short.

As promised I’m going to talk about religion. You may have heard that Irish people are very spiritual people. We are. We love whiskey and brandy and vodka and gin. I’m very fond of Baileys myself. Baileys and ice, Baileys coffee, Baileys cheesecake (not sure if Baileys is a spirit or a liqueur).

Today being St Patrick’s Day, the Irish people filled the streets to pay homage to their national saint in the usual places of worship. In the city centre these are mainly Grafton Street (Southside, therefore a good place)
and Henry Street (Northside). In the outer reaches of the city there are places like the Dundrum Town Centre, Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown.

It is actually nice to see the shops so full of people again. Christmas it was like a ghost town. I know the recession has hit people pretty hard. A lot of my friends have been given their marching orders.

Tomorrow I am going to talk about health and fitness. I think a visit to the gym is due after all the chocolate and alcohol I indulged in today.
Slan

Miss Panda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the BF the best friend or boyfriend??
Just curious
So it aint the isle of Saint and Scholars any more?
Does Ireland exist outside DUblin??

Casey Freeland said...

Drinking religiously is a good thing! Thanks for the pics and chat about what it's like to have St. Patty's Day in the home of St. Patty.

G.C.

Unknown said...

I had seen a few people I hate drinking a long long time ago... waited for them to be drunk senseless. And did very very evil things upon them in the name of delicious vengeance and perverted fun (nothing sexual ok!!!).

After that nobody asked me to accompany them to the clubs anymore. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

And I think it is bad for pandas to drink alcohol. Your parents in China are so disappointed in you.

Inkpot said...

Happy St Patrick's day everyone! :)