Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Writing Courses

Two months ago I signed on to a long distance writing course which claims it will teach you how to write and be published. I considered it a win-win situation, because it promises that you will have earned the course fee before completion, or your money back. I did the first assignment straight away and emailed if off. Now, two months later, and I am still stewing over the second assignment. Feeling that I just have to knuckle down and do it, I started working on it this morning. I spent the morning in study, reading and researching. It is weird, because although I worked hard, I feel guilty for not actually writing. Maybe, when I am published, this obsession with getting words down on paper will ease. Writing is about a lot more than the actual physical work of putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). I have to recognise that and respect it. I can be doing just as much work on the days when I get no words written. Word count is not the measure of my success and progress. Lesson learned - I hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very wise.

Anonymous said...

Those nasty second assignments - always out to get you!