Monday, December 15, 2008

Writing Exercise #5

This week I want to introduce you to a writing exercise I recently discovered. It is called F R E E writing. It stands for Fast Raw Exact but Easy writing. I was a bit skeptical when I read about it first, but I gave it a try because anything that can help boost your creativity is a bonus - right? Anyway, I've been doing it for a while now and I've found it very beneficial. I haven't got to the stage yet where my daily F R E E writing leaves me inspired, but it certainly gets rid of all my emotional negativity and busy-ness in my head, leaving me free to write and let the inspiration come.

Therefore I would recommend you head over to Orna Ross' site to learn about F R E E writing and to try out her tutorial. Try it once. You might find it helpful, or you might not, but you have nothing to lose.

Because of the nature of F R E E writing I don't expect you to post your results in the comment section, but I would really like to hear what you think of it if you tried it out.

Good luck and happy writing.

4 comments:

Aizan Suhaira said...

I checked the site out but I find the practice kind of stressful, especially with someone who has nothing in her brain most of the time.

I really admire those who can write one unique story after anothe. I never had the ability to do that.

Anonymous said...

sounds good... i'll try it sometime when I'm not home with my boy :o) he's sick now so my writing's kinda interrupted by his unpredictable need for my attention...

anyway, i'm inviting you to my site. would be glad to hear what you have to write on my posts...you're FREE TO WRITE your opinions and experiences.

hope to see you...

Casey Freeland said...

I've been using Free Writing for years, especially when the ol' creativity juices have clogged up. It's like a fierce plunger to the brain. I've noticed a lot of blogs are written nearly free write style. Hard to read and probably shouldn't be shared with anyone.

haha

Anyway, the acronym is an interesting adaptation of a term that's been around for longer than I have, certainly. It's probably a 60's thing. "Hey, man, let's get together, smoke somethin' and freeee write... yeah baby."

But no matter what you call it, everyone should try it. It certainly puts down on paper what's really going on in the ol' grey matter, whether you want to see it or not.

Inkpot said...

You are lucky to have nothing in your head Aizan, I've too much junk going on in it at any one time - that's why I find FREE writing helpful. :)

Hi Shewrites. Thanks for the invite. Sorry so slow to take you up on it, but I'll pop over now and have a look.

Couldn't agree with you more G.C. I find it vey useful for unblocking the brain. As for some blog posts... yes, editing would be appreciated. :)