Monday, December 22, 2008

Writing Exercise #6

This week I want you to do some research and make up a story checklist.
Pick a short story or novel that you really enjoy. If you can, read through it again. If not, think about the story and what you like about it. Is it the characters? Perhaps the unusual setting or the action driven plot.
Next, I want you to write down the points that make it a good story. How do these points apply to other stories and novels you admire? Pick out the ones that apply in more than one instance.
Now stick your notes on the wall over the desk where you write or into your writing notebook. The next time you start a new story or novel outline, look at these points and try to apply them to your writing to improve your work.
If you want, post your story checklist in the comment section, or share what your favourite story or novel is. Maybe you found this exercise helpful or challenging. Whatever you want to say, I'd like to hear it.

2 comments:

youngheejin said...

Wow! I'm glad I've read this. It could probably help me develop my story I'm working on. I'll definitely remember this.

Our computer has problems that I didn't get to check my account and read the blogs I'm following for days. So here I'm back. Thanks a lot for this. It really made me think.

Inkpot said...

Hi younghee-jin. I'm glad you found this helpful. Remember to keep me posted about your story, I hope it is going well. :)