Saturday, April 12, 2008

Who is the voice of your SatNav?

Sorry I haven't blogged in the last few days. I've been in a period of mourning for Woozer. I know she was old and ill and every day for the last three years I thought would be her last, but death is aways sudden in the end. The house isn't the same without her. I miss her heavy breathing and the little thump as her hips hit the floor when she lay down. I keep on expecting to see her sleeping in the living room or tottering over to say hello when I come home. Even Rags and Janna notice her absence and miss her. I suppose it has also made me think about the other dogs mortality. When Janna was sniffing Woozer's body and saying goodbye, I couldn't help but flash forward to her own inevitable death and the decay of her body as age takes its toll. I have high hopes for Rags equalling if not beating Woozer's 15 years, but I don't think Janna is even going to make it into double digits. I guess the lesson is to appreciate every moment you have.
On a more frivolous note, I was travelling to a play in Armagh yesterday with friends and the car I was in had satellite navigation. As the woman's dulcet tones directed us on the wrong path I posed the question - who would be your ideal SatNav voice? My friend thought Morgan Freeman would be good to give directions. I chose Kelsey Grammer, especially if he slipped in the occasional 'Die Bart Die' between giving directions. I think Leonard Nimoy would also be cool - who wouldn't love to be told where to go by Spock?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing Frasier's duplicity and self aggrandisement, i don;t know if i would trust him on sat nav! the bit on mortality was sad if true especially mentioning poor woozer's thump- that hit home

Valpot said...

Yes, i agree - I heard the thump as I read those words! :(

Inkpot said...

Hi Anon (you can hide your name but I know who you are! muhahahah!) - I agree about Frasier. Who would be your voice of choice? As for woozer, all I can say is :(
To Valpot - :(

Anonymous said...

well nathan fillian managed to navigate the skies so i'd trust him, captain stoylimaller (funny spelling) in Monk has a good voice and is in law enforcement so i could trust him too. these are just preliminary thoughts

Inkpot said...

Hi Anon. Nathan Fillion would be trustworthy and has a good voice. It would be nice to have him in the car to give directions, not just his voice :). Captain Stottlemeyer played by Ted Levine (information and spelling thanks to imdb) would be good as well, but he could be off putting if he got angry. He is very good at shouting. 'No, LEFT I said LEFT!!!'. Now Adrian Monk would not be good. Nothing against Tony, but if he was in character as Monk you would never get out of your drive way.